Curious Deer

Whitetail Deer can be very curious. When I pulled up to a viewing area in my car on the Wildlife Drive in the Montezuma National Wildlife Refuge last week, this doe wandered over to see what this strange looking thing was with a long, black single eye looking out of it.

Whitetail Deer in the Montezuma National Wildlife Refuge.

Whitetail Deer in the Montezuma National Wildlife Refuge.

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Animals, Nature and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Curious Deer

1. Anna Surface says:

Lovely up-close look and capture of the pretty doe. Deer in our area are not curious… they run. Mainly I only catch a glance of the white tail. I bet that was neat being close like that. 🙂

• This was taken with my 80-400VR at 400mm and it’s been cropped a bit so she wasn’t too close. But, for a deer, I’d say she thought she was too close once she turned tail and ran off to a safer distance. Yep, I saw the white flag of her tail then. 🙂

2. burstmode says:

That is very close for a wild deer. Its an excellent shot.

3. montucky says:

Pretty shot, Scott! I never get tired of seeing deer.

4. rvewong says:

I sure can’t get a deer to do that around here.

5. Mitch says:

Great shot. I don’t see a lot of deer during the day, but we get lots of them in the backyard during the early and late evenings. But this one not running away from you,.. must have been a really young one.

6. imac says:

Peek-a-boo.
    Love the shot.

My friend you are invited to pop and see the latest built Steam Engine = The Tornado.

7. Laurie says:

She sure is beautiful. What a wonderful shot.

We live in a very congested area, a commuter suburb not far outside of NYC…I live just blocks from a 10 lane highway. The deer are not all that shy here. I see deer nearly every day along that highway, dead and alive, and quite often in my neighborhood which is anything but rural and is not a new development with the typical property size being less than 1/4 acre. The deer population has gotten too large in recent years and their only natural predator is man and since there is no way they can be hunted in suburbia they have become a problem here. We are starting to hear about coyotes now here in suburban NJ…They have been spotted a few towns away from me in the past couple of weeks. Maybe coyotes hunt deer? I don’t know. Not sure which I prefer. Deer cause deadly car accidents, but coyotes can be nasty and eat pets. I don’t think I want to run into one of those when I am out on a jog!

You really make the most of the Refuge, don’t you! That is a lovely shot. Like Laurie, when deer get close to me I’m generally too busy braking to fool with the camera. Then there was the day Miss Sadie, the Cowboy and I were taking our morning walk along the lane behind the Writing Studio & Bait Shop when half a dozen deer whuffled out of the woods practically on top of us. They kept going, flags flying, while we were stunned into silence. I could see the fog of their breath, and it seemed as if I could feel it, too.