Double Rainbow Luck

Double Rainbow.Double Rainbow, originally uploaded by Scott Thomas Photography.

It was raining on my way home in mid-October, 2009 when the Sun popped out. Being so late in the afternoon and the time of year, I knew there had to be a rainbow somewhere.

There was, the most vivid oxbow double rainbow I had ever seen. I pulled over and took out my Apple iPhone 3G and did the best I could. Normally, I wish the iPhone could zoom in, this time, I wished it could go wider. As they say, the Best Camera is the one you have.

While it was October, I felt the luck of the Irish doubled on that day as I wish the same for you today, on this St. Patrick’s Day. 🙂

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Nature and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Double Rainbow Luck

1. Carsten says:

Very lucky shot Scott. Not only the double rainbow, but also the lines in the road and the power lines. Not least a very clear image of “Alexander’s Dark Band” between the rainbows.

Luck prefers the prepared!

Magically delicious! 🙂

3. montucky says:

Happy St. Patrick’s Day!

4. Simone says:

A very happy Paddy’s Day to you, Scott!!

Happy Rainbow! Happy St. Patrick’s Day, too. (It is a lucky day. Canon replaced the little camera. It arrived this morning. I was blind but now I can see!)

6. burstmode says:

A beautiful photo. Did you PP it or is it straight from the device?

• I processed it in the Best Camera iPhone app. I gave it a shot of Candy (Boost Color). The iPhone 3G had washed out coloring and this brought it back. This is very close to what I saw. Maybe a touch enhanced. Not by much.

The newer iPhone 4 has much better color rending.

7. Deanna says:

Cool shot! Happy St. Patrick’s Day! We saw a rainbow today, it was very low in the sky and my daughter says those are the only kind with gold at the end. I’m surprised she didn’t make me hop in the car and start searching for gold. 🙂

• I spent some time up in Olympic National Park right out of college. I got spoiled with almost daily rainbows. One late afternoon, I saw three rainbows in different spots at the same time.

I have yet to find any gold either but, for some reason, the joy of seeing rainbows makes up for it.

8. Robin says:

Wow! Two pots of gold. 😀

It’s a beautiful shot. I’m glad you had a camera — any camera — with you to capture it.

9. chriscaff says:

Great capture! I’ve seen several double rainbos, but either not been in the right position to photo them or not had the camera handy (hard to hold one while driving! 😉 )