Assignment 11: Food Photography

Ready for a new year of fun photo assignments?  I knew you were!

To start off 2011, I thought you would all enjoy something you can do inside (or outside if you live in a warmer climate than me) and something we have each and every day of our lives.  Assignment 11 is on Food Photography.

Assignment 11: Food Photography

A salad oozing with dressing from the salad buffet at the Trails End restuarant in Walt Disney World. Nikon D70/18-200VR, 1/6s, f/5, ISO 200, EV +1, 62mm focal length, tripod, flash bounced off ceiling at -3 power.

I am not looking for a simple snapshot of a plate of food here.  I am looking for you to create new photographs of food which will make our mouth’s water.  For our stomachs to growl. And our noses to twitch imagining the aroma of the food presented in the photograph.  Photograph the food like you would see it in a magazine or an advertisement for a restaurant. You up to the, assignment?

As in the other assignments, do not send me your photos. What I would like you to do is post them on your blog, flickr or other photo sharing site, personal website or any other place on the Internet where you can place a link to it here by making a comment to this blog entry. Then we can visit those sites and enjoy everyone’s Food Photography.

Please, have your photos posted on or before Midnight (your time), Wednesday, January 26, 2011. Don’t have a place to post? Might be a good time to start up a blog or join a photo community like flickr.  As I have done for all the Assignments, I’ll put together a recap with my comments.

If you have any questions, leave me a comment and I will be happy to answer them. By the way, I would really appreciate it if you would help spread the word about this assignment so we can get lots of people to participate. Blog it, tweet it, email it and talk about it to your fellow photographers, bloggers, friends, family and pets. Thank you

This entry was posted in Assignments and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

87 Responses to Assignment 11: Food Photography

1. Katarina H says:

i have this awesome artichoke and salmon love:-))
    artichoke + salmon = love

2. Kionda says:

Now THAT looks mouth watering. 🙂 Looking forward to doing this assignment.

How timely is this assignment for me?? With the newly renovated kitchen and our horrible winter weather keeping me cooped up, I’ve been cooking up a storm! Finally, an assignment I can (literally) sink my teeth into! 🙂

4. Karma says:

Hmmm… I’ve photographed food, but I’m not really sure how to go about making it look out-of-the-ordinary. That will be the challenge for me.

5. Pingback: New Assignment at Scott’s Place! « Karma's When I Feel Like It Blog

6. Giiid says:

This sounds like fun, great idea. It will be interesting to see if there are little or big differences in what food we choose as model.

7. Funny, I was just thinking about photographing my dinner yesterday, but I was too hungry to go get the camera.

8. Kathy says:

I am scared of this assignment, Scott. Therefore, it’s a MUST to do. I don’t know if I can make anything look mouth-watering, but it will be a good story, one way or another. I can make a good story. lol!

9. Pingback: 112: Nuts « Life in the Bogs

10. Robin says:

I’m going to give it a shot. Well, probably more than one shot. Many more. 😉

11. Pingback: The Philology of Taste and the Food Foto Fantastiks « Torch Lake Views

12. flandrumhill says:

Scott, I am going to try this. Don’t worry, it won’t be a slug dish.

13. I would like to add I am having a special guest blogger tomorrow (Friday, 1/14/2011) who will help greatly as you approach this assignment.

14. Nye says:

My kind of assignment, and I get to eat the food afterward. 🙂

15. Dawn says:

This seems difficult. Though I have taken photos of food when I’ve been in parts of the country with different food than I’m used to. It usually ends up looking like modern art and isn’t recognizable as food…hmmmm….it’s a good challenge.

16. Pingback: Food Photography Assignment « Nye Noona

17. Pingback: Beginner Food Photography | Views Infinitum

18. Barry Wallis says:

Thanks for letting me know about this, Scott. Here is a breakfast photo and a photo of some cookies for dessert .

I find that food photos generally need some post-processing to get them looking tasty.

19. Pingback: Photo assignment « Isathreadsoflife’s Blog

20. Cindy says:

I post food photographs almost every day.

21. Pingback: View 160: Disney Dream-ing | Views Infinitum

22. Wendi says:

Here’s my entry into the assignment. Lemony Seafood Pasta.

23. Pingback: Belly Up to the Dessert Bar | Views Infinitum

24. Pingback: Assignment invitation « My 2008 blog

25. Pingback: Marolyn Hendershott’s excellent treats « Torch Lake Views

• I have been fortunate enough to attract bloggers from all over the world here. Even though Nye lives in the United States now, her family roots stem from a part of the world with much different foods and tastes. Thank you for sharing one with us here, Nye!

26. Debbie Littlejohn says:

My first ever submission – I hope you like it.

Beef Filets w/ Pomegranate-Pinot Sauce

27. Hello Scott ! This is a dessert for you when you come back home. 🙂 My participation in your assignment.

28. Oh, boy! Look at the submissions come rolling in! Don’t forget you have until midnight (your time) tomorrow to get yours in.

I had a lot of company photographing the food on the cruise last week since it was a media cruise. All the Disney fan website and podcast people were clicking away at every dish. 🙂 It will be hard to pick the ones to show you!

29. Pingback: Table For One « Flandrum Hill

30. kiwidutch says:

Hello Scott,
    I found your blog via Milkayphoto’s blog and you both inspired me to take up the Food Photography Assignment. My photos for this, will post on my blog tomorrow, 26th Jan… … so I’ll be back tomorrow with links. Thanks!!!

31. flandrumhill says:

Scott, the squirrels and chickadees would like to thank you for the assignment challenge. They don’t get wine every day and have been toasting you ever since the photo shoot 😉

32. Robin says:

Hi Scott!

Here’s mine:

That was fun. Thanks. 🙂

33. Pingback: A Food Chain Reaction… « Local Heart, Global Soul

34. Karma says:

My contribution:

Can’t wait to see your cruise food, Scott! Did you hit the midnight buffet?

35. kiwidutch says:

As promised, here’s the link to my Foodie Photo Assignment:

36. Here is my Restaurant Food Photography submission or, as I am calling it on flickr, Disney Food Tripping. 🙂

37. How glad am I that I clicked the twitter link! I’m always up for a challenge and it being a food photography challenge even better, plus I’m adding a bit of South African flavor to the mix!
    Hope you enjoy the blog posts!

38. kanniduba says:

*comes rushing in out of breath*
    I’m here I’m here! 🙂

39. Carsten says:

Happy New Year Scott
    -In time as always 🙂 My snapshot is here:

40. Giiid says:
    Here you are; samples of ordinary Danish food.

41. Dawn says:

I think I posted this on the wrong blog entry before…so here it is again just in case. This was really difficult and I have a long way to go..but it was fun to try!

• I was going to move it but I see you have already posted it here so I shall leave it the first one where it is.

Dawn, the journey you showed us was great. Most of the time, people only show their best photos (me, included). To see how you approached the assignment, tried different things before finding a very good subject under just the right conditions was very educational for me. I hope for others, too.

42. Kathy says:

OK, Scott, sneaking in under the wire:
    Thanks for another assignment!

43. JenniferA says:

Oh poop. I was on vacation. I can’t believe I missed this assignment!

44. Pingback: Assignment 11: Recap | Views Infinitum