View 241: Human Interest

As I was reviewing the photos I choose to share last week, I realized something was missing.  Technically they were good.  They were informative but did not include a lot of storytelling.

New Graduates pose for photos in front of the Westcott Building on the Florida State University campus in Tallahassee.

Nikon D700/28-300VR, 1/320s, f/9, ISO 200, EV +0.3, 35mm focal length.

Take the Westcott Building I posted on Friday.  Lovely photo but very static.  What you did not see were the people behind the fountain taking photos.  The three of them, all graduates having finished the summer session at Florida State University, took turns posing in front of the fountain.  What I like about this photo is the story it tells without having to read the photo’s caption.

The post about the Gateway Arch in St. Louis did have some human interest.  If you call a photo of people’s rumps in the air looking out windows interesting. 😉  I know some of you were wondering how small those tram pods really are.  Well, here is your answer.

Flickr friend Steve (with camera), my daughter Krystal and Steve's brother, Tom, inside a Gateway Arch Tram Pod at the Jefferson National Expansion Memorial in St. Louis, Missouri.

Flickr friend Steve (with camera), my daughter Krystal and Steve’s brother, Tom, inside a Gateway Arch Tram Pod at the Jefferson National Expansion Memorial in St. Louis, Missouri.
Nikon D700/Tokina 11-16mm, 1/125s, f/5.6, ISO 200, EV 0, 15mm focal length, flash at -2.0 power.

Cozy, wasn’t it? Make sure you use plenty of deodorant if you plan on riding in these.

Of course, there is the ever popular You Were There vacation photo which are not very storytelling or even interesting to most people.  They will make family members happy and is that not one of the reasons we love photography?

Blog author, Scott, with his daughter, Krystal, at the top of the Gateway Arch at the Jefferson National Expansion Memorial in St. Louis, Missouri. Photo taken by Steve Wise.
Nikon D700/28-300VR, 1/125s, f/5.6, ISO 1600, EV 0, 28mm focal length, bounced flash at -1.3 power.

Whether you add your own family or include strangers, adding human interest will spice up your vacation and travel photography.

Advertisements
This entry was posted in People, Travel, Weekly View and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to View 241: Human Interest

1. rocket2722 says:

Good article Scott. Adding the ‘human interest’ as you call it, is the one area I often neglect or avoid when taking pictures. It is something I have to work on. The first picture really sells your point when I compare it to your previous post. Thanks.

Naturally I want to have it all – the story and the context for the story. I live for stories. When I can’t find any I have to make some up. Stories about places are really stories about what people did there, or failed to do. (P.S. It’s always nice to see Krystal. What a day brightener she is.)

3. Steve says:

Cool story Scott, Being small pods your right on that. Setup straight you’ll hit the head like it did. Again it was awesome meeting you and your lovely daughter Krystal and she she has the brightest smile.

4. Kathy says:

I really liked this post, Scott. You are right–it was human interest. It pulls us in to see family, friends, photographers. It brings depths to the scene. Thanks for reminding everyone about adding that spice.

5. What an interesting post and good advice about “human interest”. I rarely do it, but should definitely try adding this precious element. Thanks Scott.

6. Truels says:

I like your point about human interest in this post. Something I do not always remember myself when photographing – and I could probably improve my photos remembering your post here…

7. Karma says:

Great reminder Scott! I am just home from Maine and have been going through my vacation photos. I have so few with my family in them, it disappoints me. With a hubby who hates being in photos, and teenagers who are for the most part indifferent to having their picture taken, including them gets difficult!

• I trained my daughters at an early age to smile for my camera. People are amazed at this ability. My wife is also a bit camera shy. Hey, use strangers. Most people are flattered when asked to have their photo taken. I know it is not the easiest thing to do but it is very rewarding.

8. Pingback: September Photography Links | Views Infinitum