I found it easier to put my goals down last year. Upon looking at what I came up with this year. I have some unfinished business to attend to from 2010. You will notice right away most of these were on on my list last year. When I was looking back last week I was disappointed I had not made more progress.
It is a new year and I am not one to let a little disappointment get me down. If anything, it makes me more determined.
1. Improve “seeing” photographically. I referred to this last month. Got some ideas and good advice in the comments on how to do better at this. With my past and current experience covering live events, I tend to shoot fast. That is good for sports and live events but not so good for other types of photography. I often feel I missed something when reviewing my day’s images. I have decided the best way to quantify this is to feature, at least, one blog post a month dedicated to the Art of Seeing.
2. Time Management. I felt time rushed a lot last year. Most of it was because of the sporting events I covered which created a lot of work I needed to learn how to handle. Sure do envy those photographers who have assistants. Post processing of photos takes time. I am taking steps to find better and faster ways to do this task. Another step is to plan farther ahead for the blogs I do and take more advantage of scheduling posts. Anyone have more advice on this subject? If I have more time at the end of each day to pick up a book of fiction to read, I will know I am making progress in this area.
3. Build a Website. Here we go…the first retread from 2010. Actually, this is something which will probably effect the blog. I have talked with people about moving this blog to its own domain and making it part of a larger online presence. Still working on the plan to do so but I have set a deadline for September 1st to get this done.
4. Promotion of Website/Blog. I have been haphazardly been using Twitter, FaceBook, flickr and Internet message boards for promotion with no target in mind. In the next six months, I am going to learn how to better use these social networking tools to increase my blog’s viewership. This will be easy to track using website analysis tools. Currently I average 2,675 views a month. I want to double that to 5,000 views a month.
5. Six (6) Photo Assignments. As last year, I will post a new photo assignment every other month starting this month. Oh, and don’t forget about the bonus assignment: Four Seasons. It is not too late to join in!
6. Six (6) Photo Book Reviews. As I stated in my 2010 recap last week, I found reading a photo book each month did not work out. I will publish a review of each book every other month starting in February. If I read more than six books, I know I am doing better with my second goal for 2011. 🙂
7. Take a Photo Workshop/Tour. This one I told you would be here and so it is. I am still waiting for schedules for this year to be posted. This one will be easy to check off. Of course, I thought that last year.
This part needs repeating. My pledge to you.
Here is something from my post from January 1st, 2009 that won’t change:
- I will continue to add relevant links to my postings to encourage further research for those so inclined. It is something I like to do when visiting blogs and websites.
- I will continue to visit other blogs and flickr photostreams and leave comments I hope are encouraging and helpful to the blog authors and photographers.
- I do not mind people using my photos on their blogs or websites. All I ask is for you to give credit and a link back to this blog. If you want to use any of my photos for commercial purposes, please, contact me.
Let us now raise our glasses and toast to another year of moving forward. Clink!